Monday, March 12, 2012

What will become of Matt Flynn?

So the big unproven free agent QB this year is Matt Flynn. Is he this years Kevin Kolb/Matt Cassel or will he be more of a Matt Shaub? Cassel was impressive for one year as the Patriots starter but hasn't lived up to the hype he generated. He's still a capable starter in the league if you ask me. Kevin Kolb was a guy we had even less to go off of but I didn't really disagree with the Cards taking a chance on him. Matt Shaub has proven to be a very good QB but it seems he just can't stay healthy.

Now onto Matt Flynn. Flynn started the last game of the season for Green Bay this past year and made himself a bunch of money. He stepped in for the NFL MVP and Green Bay's offense rolled. He looked absolutely flawless throwing 6 tuddys against Detroit. I don't think this performance was a fluke and that's because I don't think people just luck into an all time great game by a QB in the NFL. Aaron Rodgers has said that he thinks Flynn can be a top 15 qb in the NFL. Maybe just being a good pal but I think he sees that Flynn has great instincts which is what I think  Kolb n Cassel lack. Unfortunately for Flynn the Colts went and released Manning which could take away his choice of where he wants to go. Most of us thought it was obvious Flynn would end up in Miami once his offensive coordinator with the Packers was hired as the Dolphins head coach. This still might happen but only if Manning chooses not to go there, obviously. Not sure why he'd ever want to be a redskin but that seems to be off the table anyways. Since the skins traded mad picks to move up to the two spot in the draft they will get RG3.

In some sense Flynn and  Manning are connected. Flynns destination will most likely depend on what Manning decides to do. If the Broncos don't land Peyton will they go after Flynn? How bout the Chiefs? I doubt either of those. Manning is Manning, a for sure 8-10 wins as long as he can play. That's the only reason those teams have made a push for a QB. Flynn is still a risk so they're not gonna pay 30-40 mil on a guy that might not be better than who they have. Well he's ten times better then teebs in his sleep but the fan base in Denver wouldn't go for that and I don't think Elway would take that chance. Imagine what would go down if he paid Flynn, traded Tebow and Flynn ended up being Alex Smith (poo) ?  This leaves a few possible destinations I believe. I think he goes to Miami if they don't end up with Manning. If they do land Manning I think Flynn goes to Seattle. The GM in Seattle drafted Flynn so that's an obvious connection. If there's another team I think it's Cleveland. I think the stupid Brownies should've thrown as many draft picks as it took to move up to get RG3. I've said that the city needs something or someone to get excited about. Maybe Flynn could give them hope but Griffin brings world class speed if nothing else which equals excitement.  A few times a game he's gonna make an amazing play so the fans gotta go see him. However if Flynn is the next Rodgers then they would get a franchise guy without giving up all those draft picks. The only way I see him in Cleveland is if they just go all out and pay him huge money. Should the Browns go hard after Flynn? I say why not  but if I was Flynn I would take a little less money and avoid Cleveland at all cost.

 Where does Flynn play next year ? And is he for real ? I would love to see him in that super cute Seagulls jersey. Since Dallas and Washington got hit hard today by the league for front loading the cap  every other team in the league gets an additional 1.6 mil in cap space this year. Maybe that brings some other teams in but I still don't see anyone else making a real push for him.

4 comments:

  1. Its good to see that somebody from Two Bit is actually doing some work! When is the new website going to be up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cleveland really screwed up on this one. Unless they have another plan. Its really hard being a Browns fan. Hashtagsuicidaltendencies

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to see him in Seattle fosho. Thanks to the Czur and Stevie Largent, the Seagulls are my third favorite team. But Miami will get him and i will end up keeping Brandon Marshall on my fantasy team. Correction, my world champion fAntasy team.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate the cheap shot comment on Alex Smith. Really can't stress enough what a pile of poo he is. Also, good luck with the suspended Brandon Marshall. That should become part of his name, no? "The Suspended Brandon Marshall"

    ReplyDelete