Thursday, February 23, 2012

Song ah dah day



Bright Eyes is one of three groups that singer/songwriter Conor Oberst has created. His other projects include Monsters of Folk and Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band which are both more of a folk rock sound. Conor is often referred to as the Bob Dylan of his generation and I kinda agree with that description. He's a lyrical mastermind and I cant think of anybody in the last decade or two that comes close to his body of work. He's been writing songs and recording since he was thirteen and has just gotten better n better. What was once descibed as teenage angst rock has grown into a resume of absolute genius works of art. We went to see them live this past summer and it was one of the great live performances I've ever seen. His stage presence and total command of the audience is phenomenal and the range of sounds from this band is as wide as any. I was introduced to this band about five years ago when I met my girl. She was absolutely right when she said I would love them!

1 comment:

  1. Great write up! Completely agree, Conor Oberst is an outstanding songwriter/poet, musician, performer...everything it takes to be a true artist.I love his diversity. For ex., Bright Eyes' "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning" (probably my favorite album) features Emmylou Harris and brings a bit of a country "theme" without changing his writing or vocals. Ahh, his vocals! In a time that's full of too many whiny voices in my humble opinion, Mr. Oberst has a one of a kind, little shaky, soft, loud, weak, strong...real voice. As he sings in I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning.."I'd probably be a famous singer, if I had someone else's voice". Touché!!

    ReplyDelete